Thursday, March 17, 2016

Green it up

St. Patty's Day:
 
Neither myself or my kids wore green today....and it's not like we don't have any GREEN in our house.  This is our school colors.  But I've never gotten into celebrating this day.  Why do we even celebrate?? Let me give you a quick history lesson:
 
According to Wikipedia, "the day commemorates Saint Patrick and the arrival of Christianity in Ireland,[1] and celebrates the heritage and culture of the Irish in general."
 
Eating and drinking lots of alcohol is lifted for this day.  You should put a shamrock in your beer.  After the beer is gone, either shallow the shamrock or toss it over your shoulder for good luck (never heard of this one!).  People wear green and associate the shamrock with this day because St. Patrick used the shamrock to explain the Holy Trinity to the pagan Irish. 
 
Again, if you aren't Irish or Irish-American, why do we celebrate?  This holiday has been celebrated in North America since the late 18th century! Whoa......I guess this is why we celebrate. Because the people before us, before them, and before them....celebrated.  So it's part of our culture.

Well I felt like it was just another day and threw on some clothes!
 Plus I woke up late and was in a hurry!! haha

Leven let Taydem skip school today to hang out with he and Trever.  Not sure what they have in store, but I'm glad she is getting to spend a little time with Trever.  I also taught Taydem how to make a friendship bracelet last night.  I loved doing this as a kid.  And I knew Taydem would love it and pick up on it fast.  She's very artsy and loves creating things. 
I have a feeling when I get home from work today, she will have made at least 3!!
 

No comments: