Wednesday, February 2, 2011

What a blessing!

I can see! I can really see!

My surgery was Monday and I seriously think the whole process was less than 15 minutes. My doctor was AMAZING and I recommend him to anyone who is thinking about having LASIK done. He and I talked the ENTIRE time he was moving my eyeballs around. I think that's the weirdest part of that whole thing. I was wide awake!! I will take you through my process:

Leven and I got there WAAAAYYYY early. I checked in around 1 and my appointment was scheduled for 2. They called my name around 1:45. So yes, the entire time sitting in the waiting room I was a complete wreck worrying about it. I have no idea why I bring Leven along for these types of things. He thinks he's funny and makes jokes about the surgery (bad, mean jokes) the whole time. I guess he thinks he's doing a good job and relaxing me a little..........but NO he's not! He freaks me out even more. Can you imagine every baby doctor visit when I was preggo with Taydem????? So anyways they finally call my name and we headed back. There were 4 of us back there waiting for our new eyes and I was last to go. We all got our little caps for our heads and shoe covers on. She went over all our eyedrops one last time before going in. I had to go to the bathroom 3 times before my surgery. Guess I was a little nervous. I finally got called into the Laser Room (that's what they call it) and there were 4 ladies in there. The first lady helped me lie down on the chair. The minute I layed my head back I had one lady opening my left eye putting in drops and another lady opening my right eye putting in drops. Neither of them asked me to "OPEN MY EYES" they just did it for me. These drops were my numbing drops. When they were finished the doctor sat down and my head was pretty much between his legs. I was praying that my eyes were already numb bc he did not waste any time. Next thing I know they were putting some type of clamp or something in my right eye so I couldn't blink. WEIRD. Every time they did something he would explain it to me, but most of the time I wasn't even listening. I was too busy telling myself to breath!!! Then came the dreaded laser coming at my eye. This was the process of creating a very thin flap of tissue that is folded back during treatment. WEIRD. Once that happened they moved on to the left eye. To keep still he would tell me to look at a certain point until the countdown was complete (one nurse was there only to countdown). The point I was looking at was usually some sort of blinking light. After the left eye was complete it was now time for the most important part. They started with the left eye and took out that clamp thingy. This time they just taped my top eyelashes back and the bottom eyelashes down so I couldn't blink. WEIRD. So now another machine was coming down at me. This one was going to reshape the exposed surface with the Excimer laser and then he had to replace the flap. WEIRD. I focused in on a red blinking light the whole time while the machine made a loud clinking noise and then I could smell the crazy smell every one talks about. To be honest, none of that bothered me. This whole process I could feel pressure but it never hurt me. I layed there as still as possible until the countdown was over. The machine was lifted and then he took two little untensils and folded my flap back over. WEIRD. I knew what he was doing but couldn't feel a thing. Strange, but it reminded me of him playing with jello or something. He folded it back and smoothed it out like he was playing with plastic wrap (saran wrap). Then they took off the tape and it was on to the left eye!!! After the left eye they asked me to sit up. I couldn't believe how fast it was. All I could keep saying was, "That was the weirdest thing I have ever done!" That was some seriously "easy money!" But that money was worth every penny and then some. By far the best gift I have ever received and so thankful. If you have never had problems with your eyes, then you really wouldn't understand it all. I have been wearing glasses or contacts for over 18 years!!! To finally go to bed at night without having to take my contacts out OR the best...getting to wake up in the morning and see what time it was without putting on my glasses or sticking my cell phone in front of my nose is the best feeling in the world. Yes, what a blessing!!

So for the next 30 days I can't rub my eyes. I have been using all kinds of eyedrops since the surgery and at night I get to wear these really cool goggle thingys to help protect my eyes in the middle of the night (rubbing, itching, etc)

1 comment:

CMAK2 said...

so happy for you darlin!!!