Friday, February 25, 2011

We Need Our Teachers....AND our Coaches!

This little article was in the Longview News Journal yesterday. Our state and government are falling apart right before our very eyes. Some people have NO SENSE!

This really upsets me! I can't tell you how many kids from Leven's past still call, email or even come see him on a regular basis. Coaches ALSO leave a huge impact on a child's life. Coaches usually become closer to their athletes than a teacher would their student. Not only are coaches helping athletes to become better at their sport..., but they are teaching them to be a better person in their every day lives. Leven has heard this more than once, "You are like a father I never had," and my favorite, "Can I call you Daddy Barker?" Ha!

"A coach is a single mother's best friend"
     Dujuan Bradford


I posted this on facebook and here are some comments people left about it:
 
‎**  "The Coaches at Tatum are what make the athletic program. They all help the young men and women learn what it means to focus on a goal as individuals and as team preparing them for life. But they are also teachers in the classrooms and... assist principals. So cutting coaches is also cutting teachers and administrators. I don’t think ms, Peterson understands that point. She also needs to understand that if the school charges $7.50 for ticket to a sporting event and 1000 people attend then the school just made 7500.00 before the people buy any food and drinks at the games they attend at Tatum. So, she really needs think about that part of it. But the reality is not who lose their job. It is about the state’s inability to manage the state education budget and how that not only affects the teachers and staff but more importantly how the cuts affect our children."
** "My softball coaches changed my life for the better and keep me out of trouble! I can't say that about any of my teachers. Not to say there aren't any out there. I just can't say that any of mine touched my life like my coaches did......."
** " Coaches are definitely teachers too and I am glad Hannah had and in fact still has Coach Barker in her life. There are good teachers and good coaches (and unfortunately some not so good of both) and it is a shame to me that our state won't... let go of the milliions of dollars payed out for TESTING (TAKS/STARR) and people who create the test make NO impact on a students life but are willing to cut those who truly make a difference in a child's life. Why can't testing be done every 2 to 3 years and as needed and keep 1000s of teachers/coaches employed. With less testing teachers might discover the joy of teaching and learning again!!"
**"Amen, Noreen! You have my vote for governor, president, or whatever other office you desire! Why is your idea not on the front page of every newspaper in Texas?! Let's funnel our frustrations in the direction of these test-mongers instead of each other. Teachers and coaches are on the same team and, in the best situations, work together for the best interest of the student."
What is your feedback on this?

No comments: