Thursday, May 19, 2016

Work is crazy...

....BUSY!
 
I haven't written in a couple of weeks.  One of those weeks being, I was in Wyoming! Work took us up that way.  We left Sunday afternoon and didn't return until Friday around 2:00.  This is a long time to be away from kids and the husband! I missed them so much.  Thankful for Facetime. 
 
We landed in Denver on Sunday night, spent the night and then left for Cheyenne early Monday morning.  Took us about 1.5 hours to get to Cheyenne, did what we needed to do there and then drove another 2.5 hours to Casper.  We checked in to our hotel and then headed to do our research at the Oil & Gas Commission.  It didn't take us as long as we thought, so we had a few hours to explore.  And why not! It's Wyoming.  We asked the hotel where we could find a cool hiking trail near by.  They sent us to the perfect place.  Now, in my mind I'm thinking walking trails like the ones here in East Texas.  Uh...negative.  This hike was up the side of a mountain.  Devin does not like heights. I was scared to death.  Paul on the other hand was like a kid in a candy store.  My heart was beating out of my chest the entire time.  We got up to the top (or as far as I wanted to go) and clouds started rolling in.  So back down we hurried! We made it to the bottom and it started raining and snowing! CRAZY! I was wearing shorts.  CRAZY!
 And of course I took tons of pics!








The skies looked pretty and blue, right?  .
It didn't take long at all for them to turn black and cloudy!
 
We got up early Tuesday morning and headed to Rock Springs, WY where our other two guys had already started field work.  We wanted to drive (another 4.5 hours) there so we could help.  Two more of us would make it go faster and all of us could catch a plane ride home earlier. I felt like at this point all we had done was DRIVE!! Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed the scenery, but still....in a car. I pretty much saw all of South Wyoming!
 
We tried to stop at Historical Markers along the way to help break up the drive and us getting bored.  Right off the highway, there sat a huge dome like rock! This was Indepence Rock
 
So cool! And this day was cold.  I think average was bout 45 degrees.  So we park the truck and start to explore, again.  We decided to walk around it.  Well about 50 yards into it, Paul starts running up the rock. WAT? I thought he was crazy.  So he says, come on, it's an easy way up.  I thought we were going to get in trouble until he says there's kids on the very top running around.  Kids? Yes, they were on a class field trip.  I just about died.  I couldn't even imagine bringing a bunch of East Texas kids here.  I would be a nervous wreck as a parent and a teacher! OMG. 
So I thought if they could run up the rock, so could I.
 
Can you imagine going up the side of this thing?



Can you find Paul??  This is when he told me to come on.  He was halfway up.  I was going to keep walking ON THE GROUND around the thing!


See the kids?? haha

At the tip top! The wind was blowing hard and cold!

If you read about the rock, settlers/pioneers would meet at this rock while on the Oregon Trail and mark that they were there.  These names were all over the rock.  Really cool place!



This doesn't look scary, but we were trying to find a way down.

This was the route we took.  I was so glad to be on ground again!



 
No lie, as soon as we hit the bottom it started snowing (see pic above).  It's like a weird snow.  Like little snow balls.  And the temp dropped fast.  We thought if it had done this 10 minutes before, we would have been screwed.  Trying to walk off that rock while the rocks were wet and slick!
Perfect timing. 
The storm lasted about 5 minutes and then went away. 
 
My trip will continue later......

No comments: