Thursday, July 7, 2011

He can grow anything

As long as I can remember, there has always been a garden in my life. For many many years my grandfather (who lives down the street from my parents) grew a garden. Our most favorite thing out of his garden were his watermelons. My dad put a garden behind out house several years ago, but he mainly planted tomatoes, cucumbers, peppers, etc. Just the small stuff.  A couple of years ago my grandfather just couldn't do it anymore. Right now he has hit a rough spot in his life and is just barely even getting around. He's almost 90! (Please keep him in your prayers, and my poor Meme)

My dad decided he wouldn't grow a garden behind our house this year but decided to use my Papaw's garden space. Let me tell you...he has really worked hard to keep this food alive. TEXAS has been crazy hot and dry and that's not very good weather for a garden. Monday afternoon late, Tay and I went to my parents to help them pick Purple Hull Peas. I think my dad had 5 rows planted. We picked and picked until our backs hurt. I took home a trashbag full and we began "shellin!" Thank goodness Leven (and Trever, oh and Taydem!) helped me out some. It took us two nights and we ended up with 10 quart size bags. This will last us for a while. So last night we had our first little batch. We cooked steaks on the grill, baked potatoes and our delicious PEAS! Loved them!

My dad's garden also contains WATERMELONS and CANTALOUPES! We will have watermelons for the rest of the summer. I think I was born eating a watermelon. I love those things. So GOOD JOB to my dad and all his hard work (oh yeah, my mom helps him out a lot!). Maybe one day I will take over the garden duties for the family.




No comments: